Saturday 25 February 2012

One Computer Classroom

Picture via




Similar to 1 Malaysia slogan of bringing in together different races in Malaysia, 1 computer classroom shares the same foundation too which is cooperation amongst students. Although it is likely to reflect on the sufficiency of budget for computers for schools, the 1 computer classroom will foster students to learn to learn in groups that will indirectly foster communication which is a healthy way to start of language learning.

As stated in the articles provided; teachers can use the computer as an administration tool, a flipchart or multimedia board and even softwares to be used for displaying texts/animation for the sake of presenting the information to the audience. There are numerous ways to functionally use a single computer in class and teachers should take the effort to be creative and implement the usage of using technology in class eventhough it might take more than the usual effort. If there are many things we can do with the computer, we can even do more with the availability of the Internet as students can surf to various language learning websites and watch videos pertaining to language learning (information will be endless once we’re connected on the www). In the midst of using the computer in classroom learning, we seldom forget to appreciate the small things such as the availability of a conducive classroom, power electricity, curtains which will help block in the lights, speakers and the most important item for display which is the LCD projector.

Lastly, lab ideas also triggered me to form a self access language lab in my department for the students to use in their free time (not classroom hours). I do think that a lab assistant or a part time instructor is needed to monitor the flow of the lab and also so that the students use it wisely. What I have in mind is to build a module of lesson plans using a maximum of 5 computers in the self access lab and once it is compiled, the students can go to the lab, choose a lesson of their preference and perform the activities on the own and report the results / display the project outcome to their class teacher. This is to ensure that students entering the self access lab will use it to its utmost potential and gain language learning benefits.  

Have a great weekend!
Nur

12 comments:

  1. Hi Nur!
    That's great the course inspires some new ideas! I think that is what it was basically meant for - inspire and develop! It is funny, but this week I had similar to you ideas - about investing into the laptop and I had a talk with the had of our Foreign Philology Chair about at least one lab with the Internet and some technological gadgets.
    XX
    :)
    Looking forward to reading your project,
    Yuliya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuliya,

      Thanks for the encouragement. I will bring this up in the meeting too and start brainstorming on possible ideas.

      Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nur,
    I liked the inspiring introduction that you used to introduce the post topic on one-computer. According to me, using the computer as an administrative tool was unfamiliar before reading the articles.I'll consider using it in the coming month.
    Wow, Nur, you have not only creative thoughts but actions as well.
    Best of luck in your project and career life.
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,

      All the ideas started to emerge when I read and reviewed everyone's lesson. A tribute for our instructors and you all as well for the inspiration. By doing this it ensures that I continue using ICT and it can help the English unit here to do the same thing to vary the learning style.

      Thanks for your support.
      xx
      Nur

      Delete
  3. Dear Nur,

    Great introduction reflecting the slogan of Malaysia.This week kept us all on new paths. Good Luck for your 5 computer class!

    Best,
    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vijay for the support!

      You guys inspire me.

      xx
      Nur

      Delete
  4. Dear Nur,
    I think you've had an excellent idea to create a module for additional work. mainly this is meant by individual work of the student, guided by the teacher.
    Once again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding because of electricity cuts you're having. I hope you will do well in your project.
    Best regards,
    Ludmila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ludmila,

      Yes true, it is to help autonomy in learning where students can perform the activities independently.

      On the other hand., I think you have mistaken me to someone else for the electricity cut. I'm doing fine here. :)

      Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  5. Nice post Nur,

    i like the ideas you brought up of how teachers can use one computer in the class and make it work, but i have one comment.

    All the activities you posted on this blog really had the teacher do most of the talking while students would be listening. I am one of those who thinks that students should talk more in the class than the teachers.

    Can you think of ideas on how to use one computer in a class and keep the class student to student oriented rather than teacher to students. In this way, the teacher would guide them and let them go through the experience.

    I love reading your comments.
    Best.
    hakim Almasmari
    Yemen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hakim,

      Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to create more exercises with teachers doing less and students learning more. We are under a time limit to finish the syllabus as there are only 1 semester to learn before their national exam, that's why input for us is vital.

      xx
      Nur

      Delete
  6. Dear Nur,

    I liked your idea of using a self access lab to promote autonomous learning among the students. I would be very happy if it is OK with you to share your ideas module for self access lab with us. Here I would like to share my experience of being a moderator for self access center for my university. It was not a pleasant experience for me as the idea of a module for students was there in my head but implementing it seemed a lot of hard work as I had to think out all the possibilities myself which bogged me down so much that I eventually did very little apart from downloading a lots listening from different websites such as learning English of BBC and ESLPod.com. I am currently thinking of doing a similar thing for my student's as in my current university we are going to open the self access lab for our students in a very small like yours only with five computers in the first place.

    Regards

    Farid/ Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farid,

      Good luck for your class project too.
      The project is still in its initial stage as I'm planning it for the upcoming semester. I hope to get this course done before engaging in another big project :) .
      I'd be glad to share the module with you once it's completed. Just drop me an email.

      xx
      Nur

      Delete