Saturday 28 January 2012

Deliciously Delicous !

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw we had to use delicious was this



Strawberry & Chocolate Pavlova from Delicious Cafe


Picture via

Delicious is a café in Malaysia well known for its desserts especially ‘The Pavlova’. As I clicked the link on this course’s webpage I was directed to a new site specifically about bookmarking (at that time I had food in my mind! Pfft). The newly found delicious bookmarking service eases the norm of bookmarking before which was only saved on a specific computer that we tend to use. Before this I only bookmark things in my computer at the office but when I borrowed my brother’s laptop I would only save the links in my email’s notepad. Now voila, bookmarking will be an easy task on any computer! A big hand to the inventors for such a genius idea.  Do visit mine at delicious/missafz .


Moving on to the oral/audio skill building website, it was a never ending search that reflects that there are so many websites that we can use to adapt for our class. The 3 issues that I had after reading the articles provided were
1. A dilemma for some teachers might be a) whether they want to modify the lesson to a communicative approach lesson and try fun listening activities or b) stick to the routine of chalk and talk (teacher centered) and follow strictly to the syllabus laid out.  
[This falls back to sufficient facilities and creativity of the teacher] Sometimes, if the teacher is not creative listening activities alone can be a boredom for teachers as it requires students feedback on the issue discussed.
2. How far will language practitioners use these sites in their class to promote listening /speaking activities? 
If a teacher is not used to student centered approach/ have students with minimal knowledge of the subject question and answer session after listening can be less interactive due to the lack of response. 
3. Should we wait for all teachers and schools to use CALL or further advance the technology to feed advanced computer/Internet learning users due to the different level of computer literacy/access?
Pennington (1995) as cited in Busa’s article mentioned that speech analysis technology is highly motivating, even learners who had formerly shown no inclination to work on their
pronunciation will often willingly spend time working alone or with a trainer using this computer-based form of input and practice.
  1. students must be taught on how to work/study independently using a computer
  2. school or parents should invest to upgrade the use of technology in classrooms i.e computers, CDs
  3. Website developers should also keep up to the requirements of advanced learners

At the end of the day, no matter how much we are exposed to these resources it depends highly on the teacher to use his/her effort and creativity to integrate listening/speaking activities in class, to evaluate the feasibility of using technology in class and enforcing the activities for students.

*This week was very tiring for me as I’m feeling a bit under the weather. Once the medication kicks in it makes me drowsy instantly . I spent most of the hours sleeping which was a waste of time especially upon knowing I haven’t done much for this week. Here’s for the hope of recovering and for good health for everyone!

Cheers. 


Signing off with another dessert from delicious  cafe. Yums!!
Black Forest Cafe from Delicious Cafe

14 comments:

  1. Hi Nur
    It seems that you are very interested in Delcious.com as i am too. I like your discription when compared the site to your favourite coffee. Have a delicious coffee :-)
    Sidi, Morocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. I cannot be parted with food.
      Delicious bookmarking site will keep me returning there for more.

      xx
      Nur

      Delete
  2. Hi Nur,
    I love your comments and posts for the lively style :)
    I am sorry to hear you were under the weather, hope you are better now. I had the impression you were always on the track, always in the Internet ;)
    I was working hard throughout the week, still I have no such profound reflections on the theory of technology usage as you have...
    I think it would be great to find the golden middle between the 'fun' of listening (and not only listening) activities and the 'routine of chalk and talk (I loved this expression)'.
    Good luck next week!
    Yuliya, Kazakhstan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya. I'll try to keep up every week and make full use of this course!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. WOW!

    All delicious pictures and posts!

    Real hard work Nur!

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My mission to seduce all with the dessert paid off.
      :p

      Delete
  4. Hi Nur,

    As a devoted lover of desserts, I was attached to your blog by the mouth watering photos. But I knew that I would find not only this - I have enjoyed your posts at the discussions, both in terms of the language and ideas. I really like your inspired enthusiastic attitude.

    Responding to your though about CALL,
    >Should we wait for all teachers and schools to use CALL or further
    > advance the technology ...

    my eperience tells me that we shouldn't. The head can't wait for the tail. If the head stops moving forward, the tail won't be able to move either.

    I also like your positive attitude towards learner centered learning. I have been practicing this approach since my studies at Thames Valley University on London in 1995, and I can say that it has been much more rewarding than I thought. Half of my competence and awareness of recent developments is due to my students' contributions.

    So, I am very happy to see that not only I find this approach prospective and effective. It's a great pleasure for me.

    I wish you get better soonest.

    Val, Belarus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nur,
    It seems that I missed something important which is taking a look at these impressive pictures earlier than today.
    But according to me, it's better late than never!
    I liked the way you connected Delicious to desserts, something I've never thought of. I'm truly impressed of your creativity. I also wish that I could visit the Desserts Shop and enjoy the tasty flavor you described.
    Back to learning discussions, I think your concerns are very serious since teaching students in the 21st century is very challenging. It's something different from the way we ourselves were taught. It's a true dilemma since the teacher has to adopt these new ideas and make a difference to her teaching community.A board and a chalk are obsolete! Besides,I think that we shouldn't be waiting until all schools start Call approach of teaching. Once you are convinced, you can start at your school, benefiting your students who will be exposed to well-rounded education than the others their age.
    Wishing you the best of luck.
    Best regards,
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nur again,
    Could you help me on how to add friends' posts in the same layout you did? I tried it several times, but it didn't work.
    Thanks in advance.
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,
      It is under the design layout section. I’ll try to make a tutorial post for you on Sunday.
      Xx
      Nur

      Delete
    2. Thanks,Nur,for your support. I was able to change it.
      Technology frustrates me sometimes, you know.
      I appreciate your kindness.
      Regards,
      Nihmat

      Delete
  7. Hello Nur,

    I do agree with you that delicious is a wonderful bookmark and I feel that you like it! You use wonderful pictures and words talking about delicious!! I would like to suggest to you another wonderful bookmark I use! www.keyF11.com! Try it and I think you will like it! Thank you Nur for this nice post! Wish you all the best!

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Val,Nihmat and Salam for your response.

    The reason for asking whether we should wait or just continue is that there are different types of teachers teaching the same subject. So, let’s say 3 out of 10 teachers uses the internet as a tool and it is proven that by using technology it would assist students learning. So, should we force all the other teachers to keep up and use it too eventhough without their willingness or just wait?. Even if we force them, is there a valid reason why it should be implemented since it is a matter of the teacher’s style vs vast growth of language learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nur,
    Your question is very open-ended, but I'll try to answer it briefly.
    I think teachers yearning to become professional and caring for the improvement of their students have to find new methods that could guarantee their objective. However, nobody could force another person to change something he/she is not convinced of no matter what you do. Only then let's leave it to the teachers' conscience and self-satisfaction.
    A nice topic to discuss.
    Best regards,
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete